• Previous
  • 1 (current)
  • Next
Hidden (43aba681)  

The rule in question:
1.1.2. Only upload music if you have the legal right to do so. You may upload music that you have created yourself, if you are a representative of those who did, or if it is music that is freely available and allows distribution.

-----

My question:

Is this just to protect the site, or do you actually not want music we don't have the rights to distribute??
I wasn't quite sure, because your endorsing some form of music protection when I tried to upload something...
But at the same time there is someone sharing a nine-inch nails cd(which I'm sure as hell, he doesn't have the rights to) ???

Side Remark:
The introduce yourself thread should be pinned.

Last edited by Hidden (43aba681)

(Admin)  

That's right. Only if you own the rights yourself, or if it was released in such a way that it allows sharing.  

Both NIN albums that are uploaded here (The Slip and Ghosts I-IV) were released under Creative Commons (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike) licences, hence this:
Quote:
if it is music that is freely available and allows distribution
part of the rule applies.

Hidden (43aba681)  

Panda wrote:
That is correct. Only if you own the rights yourself, or if it was released in such a way that it allows sharing.  

Both NIN albums that are uploaded here (The Slip, and Ghosts I-IV) were released under Creative Commons (Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike) licences, hence this:
Quote:
if it is music that is freely available and allows distribution
part of the rule applies.

I Didn't realize this was such a specific niche site.... Alot of content is iffy, when referring to freely available music.

I mean are mixtapes allowed off a site such as livemixtapes.com? There are disputes if it is legal to rap over others beats and distribute them on that site, not even mentioning re-distributing them.

Last edited by Hidden (43aba681)

(Admin)  

There are always going to be shades of grey when it comes to originality.

For an artist to upload material here we ask that they own or otherwise control all rights to the content.
In the case of covers, mashups and mixtapes, they are permitted as long as:
  1. The artist in question obtained the proper rights.
  2. The original/source was published under Creative Commons or similar and they respect that licence.

• Previous
  • 1 (current)
  • Next